Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Antiques Road Show, Here I Come

My real goal today was to buy the house on the corner from me. Simon and I had a plan. I held true to that plan...I stayed in our budget and did not buy it. Yes, it would have turned out to be a three bedroom, oak-floored, 10-foot-ceiling home, but the things that needed to be done may have put us farther into expenses tan we wanted to be. The lucky buyer got it for $22,000!
However, my time was not wasted. I may have snagged a couple of real finds. Turns out the 97-year-old lady who lived there really liked finer things. And, things from far away places. Here's an example:
Betcha can't guess what this is. Wow, I'm impressed! You are right! It IS a genuine camel bladder lamp from Cairo. I have to admit, I didn't realize how special this item was when I purchased it. I just had memories of neat little hippie shops when I saw it, and I was able to purchase it with a few other other items for a total of $5. It has been lit since I brought it home, and I love, love, love it. I do feel badly for the camel, though. Estimated value? $100

As far as investment goes, this may have been the best deal. I was attracted to it because it was sterling silver and had a classic shape. However, I hadn't looked at it before the auction, so I didn't realize that it was Gorham silver soldered. After looking on the internet, I realize I may have a real steal here. Taking this one to the jeweler today to see what he thinks. According to what I'm seeing, this could be turn-of-the-century and have value from $100 - 4,000. Definitely worth checking out. Purchase price? $8 It's a great piece, even if it is not "worth" anything.





I can't remember the last time I owned a rocking chair. But, this grandma is ready now for all those grandchildren to come and visit. A nice little bentwood rocker. $13








This one is just for me. It is going to the jeweler with its friend, the pitcher. Could be real. Even if it is not, it is beautiful in real life. $5, along with a flat pearl tie necklace. Woo hoo!


I just liked this. In order to purchase it, however, I had to take a very ugly painting in a great oak frame, along with a three-tiered end table that will be very functional. Just guess....nope, the bundle was $2.50. All in all, even though I did not end up with a house, I had lots of fun, took lots of ribbing from the auctioneers, and got some interesting things that you can all see in person next time you visit.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wonderful finds.

pearl earrings said...

Do you want to buy some beautiful pearl jewelries ?here you can have a look : http://www.topearl.com
pearl earrings

Aubrey said...

Those are some great finds! I especially like the rocking chair. It seems like it can tell a story. And now it will hold all the new babies. Yay!