Sunday, July 19, 2009

New Saddle and Endurance Riding


My little Ruby has been a lovely young mare, except that she has had a hard time carrying a rider and gaiting at the same time. I kept hearing that if I got a saddle that fit her properly (a gaited Rocky Mountain horse), it would solve my problem.


Well, for a year I bugged Tony Pritchett at Sycamore Creek Saddles http://www.sycamorecreeksaddles.com/, trying to find the ideal saddle for both me and Ruby. I finally ordered this spring, and have received a lovely, lightweight (19 pounds), inexpensive saddle that my horse and I both love. She loves to gait, and I love the fit for both of us.
Tony is beyond what anyone would expect from a man who understands customer service. He goes past keeping his promises, and surprised me with his level of professionalism. Nice guy, too. Thank you, Tony, for the many hours you dedicated to assuring my satisfaction with this purchase.
I have coupled this saddle with an Equipedic saddle pad for endurance riding. It has NASA foam inserts that adapt to the horse's moving back for proper fit while moving (which is why you tack up your horse in the first place...not to stand still). Ruby and I were hoping to do our first 25 mile AERC pre-endurance ride this fall. However, with the hip and back problems I've been having, I'm not sure I will be able to do it. The Equipedic pad along with the CTK Saddlery saddle purchased from Sycamore Creek, seems like the perfect duo. Of course, Ruby and I are both comfortable with the Parelli hackamore for headgear. And, I've switched from Wranglers to Kerrits riding tights for me. I can't believe the difference in comfort! Guess those English people have some things right, after all.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks, Sue.
It was a pleasure working with you. The pictures are very nice. So are your words about me. I am very appreciative of your encouragement.
Happy trails.
Tony
Sycamore Creek Saddles

Adam and Sariah said...

I am not sure what all the horse talk was about but if the stuff has NASA padding then it has to be first rate. Adam

Anonymous said...

What a great looking set up! I can't wait to see the three of you in person (Ruby, you, and The Saddle) and under way ;-)

Adam and Sariah said...

Yeah, I don't know all of the horse lingo, so I will go with this line. "If you're happy, then I'm happy!" It's okay, it's like when I read things out of my Runner's World magazine to Adam and he pretends that he cares. We don't have to love the same things, we just have to love each other enough that we can support each other in what we love. Miss ya mom.