Friday, October 3, 2008

Cattle As Role Models

A few weeks ago, I had taken Ruby out in the trailer for a training ride at a nearby ranch. When we reached the top of the hill at the home ranch on our way back, this is the sight that was before our eyes. The whole bovine family was standing in the middle of the road, and no one was going to move for me. I parked the truck and trailer and got out to investigate.


Now, although these cattle live on the same ranch as our horses, and I see them several times a week, one cannot be sure how bovines will react to humans if you are not familiar with one another. I approached cautiously, as it was apparent that the bald face calf in front had fallen through the cattle grate, and I did not want a panic on anyone's part.


Perhaps the most interesting thing to me was the support that this little guy was getting from his friends and family. Here was a young one, clearly in dire straits. And no one was leaving until they could all go together. I put the idea of a cow panic aside.

We are talking about "dumb" animals, remember. After all, the calf was certainly lacking judgement to have gotten himself in such a predicament. Kind of like kids. Especially teenagers. Lacking experience and wisdom, but having boundless curiousity and courage, they sometimes get themselves into perilous situations that could cause them irreparable damage. It is pretty easy to want to leave them and their sometimes embarrassing situations off to the side.

This little calf was certainly slowing everyone down from their pressing schedule of wandering and eating, but no one was going to get any fatter until the little guy was clearly out of danger. And, the cow concensus was apparent that I could be the redeemer come to the rescue. To their disappointment, I needed to make a couple of phone calls to those who could, truly, assist. Within a half hour, the calf was pulled to safety, and the herd was back on its dining mission.

What I don't want to forget is the dedication this family had to its own. My appearance on the scene, complete with a truck and trailer, could surely have caused the uncommitted to retreat in fear, but they stood firm. Do we humans always respond this confidently when times get tough and we fear the unknown? I will keep this example in my memory and try to be a better, braver support for my loved ones when they mis-step.

5 comments:

PJ said...

Clearly, lessons in life come in all forms. The herd protecting this young "teenage" calf was impressive.

Love the music.

J U L I E said...

I would never guess that Simon was your son. Why didn't he inherit any cowboy?

Adam and Sariah said...

Nice thinker for all of us. Yes, hopefully we can all be like cows...at least in that way. :)

shaner5 said...

Julie, I don't know what to tell you about Simon. I do have some photos I will share when I find them. Just remember, it's not his fault... we aren't very NYC, either.

J U L I E said...

I fell through a cattle grate last week, and was so sad that you're all the way in Nebraska...Julie had to hire a crane to lift me out! I love you mom! (Simon)