Friday, October 10, 2008

The Three Amigos


Here they are. The three amigos. It's hard to imagine hanging around with your best friends 24/7, eating lush food, lying in the sun, swatting pests off one another. Ahhh, this must be a reward for something we've done right.

On closer examination, however, you may notice something interesting. Yep, only one horse is paying attention to the approaching human. That's Ruby. She actually caught site of me when I was about 1/4 mile away. Yeah, the others know I'm coming, but my arrival does not spark their interest. I take a place in the amigo group only to Ruby. In fact, this is the welcome I usually get from the other two:
(That's Mona, Steve's Appy on the left, and Buckshot, my old QH gelding, on the right.) They are akin to the Pasture Prince and his Princess. Poor Ruby is the indentured servant. However, her humble position in this little herd keeps her focused on me, which is the whole point. Here's how the welcome looks as I get closer:
This alone is worth the feed bill, pasture rent, truck and trailer, gasoline for the 64 mile round trip every time I go out, farrier, vet, etc.... Ah, the love of a horse. I know I'm anthropomorphising, but there is no doubt in my mind this little horse loves me as much as I love her. And, since we don't drink, gamble, boat, ski, go to the movies, or even the Husker games, I spend that time and money on this creature. And, we're both happy.


3 comments:

PJ said...

Okay, the last paragragh brought tears to my eyes. Now if you could explain the 18 letter word..........Love you

shaner5 said...

Anthropomorphising...I had to count. I couldn't believe it was 18letters! Sorry. It simply means putting human emotions and thoughts to an animal. The scientists all feel that animals are without thought and feelings. I know better.

Anonymous said...

We'd only be money-rich without the horses...
"My treasure does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the night."